- If you have something cooking on top of the stove, don’t leave it unattended. Distractions can cause you to forget as well.
- Turn saucepan handles so that they are not sticking out over the edge of the stovetop or above another burner.
- Keep the oven door closed
- Don’t leave potholders or towels too close to the stove or oven.
- If you have a toaster oven, unplug it when it’s not in use.
- Deep fryers can also pose a fire hazard. If you buy one, make sure it has a thermostat control and it controls splattering.
- When frying something on the stovetop, beware of grease splattering. If it gets on the burner, it could cause a fire.
- Make sure all grease spills are cleaned up and your oven and stove are always clean.
- Don’t wear loose clothing that could catch fire on a burner while cooking.